In November 2018, the Department issued a request for tender to project manage, design and deliver a of a customised Leadership Development Programme for the senior Team (members of the Management Board (MB) and Principal Officers). The Department’s objective was to promote a progressive, innovative and inclusive leadership and management culture throughout the Department as a means of enhancing organisational performance, developing current and emerging leaders and enhancing the qualities and behaviours of leadership and management across the department.
The programme was being introduced following a period of change in the Department including the taking on of additional responsibilities and some internal restructuring to meet changing demands.
This project involved the design and delivery of a bespoke “Leaders Building Leaders” programme for the senior management team in the Department of the Taoiseach. It involved a comprehensive leadership development programme and also a tailored executive coaching programme for the senior team with a launch event, coach selection process, coaching, mentoring and training sessions. The programme was delivered during an 18 month period with pre-programme diagnostics, meetings with the steering group and ongoing evaluations to further tailor and customise the programme. Executive coaching was provided at senior levels : MB, Ass Secretary & PO level. The coaching involved a bespoke self-assessment against the PO & Assistant Secretary competency framework.
We were privileged to work with the Department on such a successful and impactful programme. The programme achieved its stated objectives of:
- Enhancing the quality and effectiveness of leadership capacity within the Department;
- Establishing a baseline and shared understanding of the kind of leadership development and style required to achieving the Department’s strategic and organisational objectives;
- Bringing together and harness the potential of different knowledge, experience competencies and skills;
- Strengthening participants’ skills in leading and managing organisational change, leading teams through change and improving performance.
WHAT THEY SAID
To work with the Department and Management Board in advance of their forthcoming OCR (Organisational Capability review) and to assist them in preparing for the OCR and identify key issues and challenges.
This was a comprehensive programme with the MB and the senior managers (PO’s) and involved the following :
– Consultation with senior management
– Research and diagnostics
– Facilitation Meetings with the MB & Senior Managers
– Preparation for the Organisational Capability Review (OCR) for with the Management Board across the four themes :
- Organisational Capability
This programme also involved briefings and presentations sessions for the wider Department at the SMC (Senior Managers Conference) and a focused programme of executive coaching.
We were delighted to have the opportunity to work with the Department and to assist with their preparation for the OCR. This was a robust and authentic processs to highlight the many positives within the department and to identify, navigate and prioritise the challenges.